Teachings / Sermons - Details
Writing Church History
Writing Church History as a Jesus centred community – Acts 29
We are a part of making church history - Acts 29 Saved with a purpose!
If we’re to go forward, we must first look back. Often times, we have to go back to our history to get the lenses for our future. To be reminded of what God did, and those He used to do it. (Christy Wimber)
- A handful of believers believing that the God of the Bible and of Church history is still powerfully at work through his people today as he was then [Joh 14:12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.]
”Doesn’t Jesus say that we’ll see ‘Greater things?” Wasn’t this after He had already raised the dead? To me that say’s we haven’t seen the ‘greater things’ yet, and I believe this also includes the Vineyard. Too many focus on the ‘good ole days’ only to maintain, hoping for not much more.” - Christy Wimber
- That the Habb prayer is being answered in our day and in our time
[Hab 3:2 LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.]
- REVIVALS… let your Kingdom come! [Psa 85:6 Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you? ]
- Are we willing to give it all up for Jesus and his cause, unashamed of the Gospel
- Traditions taught by men were shattered by Jesus, he is still shattering them today!
[Mar 7:8-9 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." (9) And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!
Mat 15:7-9 You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: (8) "'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. (9) They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'"]
Christy Wimber - We’re pioneers doing Kingdom stuff. And Kingdom ministry is messy. And in the long run I wonder if we aren’t calling people to die to themselves, but rather to a convenient Christianity? Are we actually doing a disservice because we aren’t showing people the high cost of following Jesus? I’m afraid we may not be equipping people to learn what it means to sacrifice. Jesus wasn’t a car salesman; He told people upfront they would lose their family and friends and people will hate them. What’s comfortable about that? Remember, were called to make disciples, not Christians. It’s a death sentence.
The duty of the church is to comfort the disturbed and to disturb the comfortable…
- We need to be a people who drink from the Fountain of life and not from cracked cisterns of our own making… lets be filled to overflowing with the Spirit of God, in a time of drought let the Living water overflow into the streets, bringing healing wherever it goes
[Jer 2:13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.]
[Joh 7:38 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."]
John Wesley said, " What one Generation is willing to tolerate, the next generation will embrace.”
William Booth: While women weep, as they do now, I'll fight; while little children go hungry, as they do now, I'll fight; while men go to prison, in and out, in and out, as they do now, I'll fight; while there is a drunkard left, while there is a poor lost girl upon the streets, while there remains one dark soul without the light of God, I'll fight-I'll fight to the very end!
Gen. William Booth – Salvation Army
how will the City of George one day remember GVC? What are we doing now to be history makers? Rev 12:11 They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.
Can we have authentic Christian community that makes a difference, that feeds others instead of just relying on being fed ourselves
Back to previous page | Go to Teachings / Sermons
meeting times and venue:
(1 Frieda Str)
47 Market Street (cnr of Market and Cradock streets)
How to get there: Map
GVC has moved to our new venue in Market Street . We are very excited about this move and believe it will help us further live out our mandate to touch the lives of others with the love of Christ.
Derek's Blog... view